Freezing/Locking Up Xenon Plus

Moderators: cg0, The Chef

The Chef

Re: Freezing/Locking Up Xenon Plus

Post by The Chef »

z0ne3 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:04 am
The Chef wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:56 am Ok, well, I also use a Shield and see no issues like this, although I dont use a soundbar or any extra drives connected to the Shield, so not sure about that. I would first try to narrow down the issue. Are you using official Kodi 20.2? Or a different version of Kodi?? Have you first tried running the build without the external drives connected and connected directly to the TV without the soundbar and without messing with the sound settings first? Try the basics first then try to narrow down what is causing the issue.
Yeah, normally I would find the culprit and get things working. This time I am stumped. I am running Kodi 20.2 from the downloader provided in the group and then added the source afterwards to get the Chef Nexus Wizard. I have not tried to connect it directly to the tv yet. I can try to connect it to a monitor I have and see if I get the same results or not.
Yea, Ive never seen my Shield freeze up like that, so Im really not sure, definitely try connecting the HDMI directly to the tv first to eliminate that causing an issue, maybe for kicks, try a different HDMI cable, also try going to Kodi settings/System and click defaults at the bottom of the audio and video section.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
z0ne3

Post by z0ne3 »

So I connected it to the monitor and got the same result. I then proceeded to remove the thumb drive again to test it out and as I thought it was installed on the internal storage, it was actually installed on the thumb drive. I then moved the app to the internal to try it out. It seems as though it is working now, but it still has a few crashes. When I moved the app to the internal, I guess it doesn't move everything over as I was trying to test it out without the thumb drive in it and it stated it was waiting for external storage or something like that. In the meantime, I will still be doing more tweaks and test and I guess find a SSD drive for the shield as the shield has very little storage as everyone knows.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
The Chef

Post by The Chef »

z0ne3 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:02 am So I connected it to the monitor and got the same result. I then proceeded to remove the thumb drive again to test it out and as I thought it was installed on the internal storage, it was actually installed on the thumb drive. I then moved the app to the internal to try it out. It seems as though it is working now, but it still has a few crashes. When I moved the app to the internal, I guess it doesn't move everything over as I was trying to test it out without the thumb drive in it and it stated it was waiting for external storage or something like that. In the meantime, I will still be doing more tweaks and test and I guess find a SSD drive for the shield as the shield has very little storage as everyone knows.
Just curious, what are you putting on the Shield that needs that much storage? Game roms?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
The Chef

Post by The Chef »

I have used this thumb drive on my Shield with no issues. Nvidia recommends this model for the Shield.

NVIDIA approved

The SanDisk Extreme Pro is one of the few flash drives that NVIDIA specifically recommends using with the NVIDIA Shield. The solid-state performance here will give you "extreme" read/write speeds, which is ideal for streaming media. We'll recommend the 128GB model, but a larger 256GB model is also available if you want to double up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
wwmoggy

Post by wwmoggy »

oh sorry got my drives mixed up sandisk extreme should be fine it a ssd drive .

it was one of the older sandisk drives I thinking of
Last edited by wwmoggy on Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
z0ne3

Post by z0ne3 »

The Chef wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:32 am
z0ne3 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:02 am So I connected it to the monitor and got the same result. I then proceeded to remove the thumb drive again to test it out and as I thought it was installed on the internal storage, it was actually installed on the thumb drive. I then moved the app to the internal to try it out. It seems as though it is working now, but it still has a few crashes. When I moved the app to the internal, I guess it doesn't move everything over as I was trying to test it out without the thumb drive in it and it stated it was waiting for external storage or something like that. In the meantime, I will still be doing more tweaks and test and I guess find a SSD drive for the shield as the shield has very little storage as everyone knows.
Just curious, what are you putting on the Shield that needs that much storage? Game roms?
Not much, just Kodi and few other things. I just don't want to run out space from updates, flashes, or other apps that have to be installed on the internal storage due to root permissions. I am hoping not to run out of space and to cause my shield to run slower. I also have the 2017 shield with the 500gb drive and I came no where near filling that up. I am assuming just paranoia and pace out mind that I rather have more space than needed than running out of space at the wrong time.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
z0ne3

Post by z0ne3 »

The Chef wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:40 am I have used this thumb drive on my Shield with no issues. Nvidia recommends this model for the Shield.

NVIDIA approved

The SanDisk Extreme Pro is one of the few flash drives that NVIDIA specifically recommends using with the NVIDIA Shield. The solid-state performance here will give you "extreme" read/write speeds, which is ideal for streaming media. We'll recommend the 128GB model, but a larger 256GB model is also available if you want to double up.

I was just looking at this and I may get that. Currently, I have a 256gb PNY connected to the shield.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
z0ne3

Post by z0ne3 »

wwmoggy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:47 am ah Sandisk extreme will cause it that is an old list never got updated. Never use thumb drives as internal storage . they overheat and are not made to used that way . get a SSD USB 3.2 or highter .

I made the same mistake a few years ago
What do you currently have?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
The Chef

Post by The Chef »

wwmoggy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:47 am ah Sandisk extreme will cause it that is an old list never got updated. Never use thumb drives as internal storage . they overheat and are not made to used that way . get a SSD USB 3.2 or highter .

I made the same mistake a few years ago
Although ive never had an issue with the Sandisk Extreme, I agree that an SSD would be the right choice. Make sure its mounted as internal storage.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
wwmoggy

Post by wwmoggy »

I got my drives mixed up
it was the SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46) that failed it over heated .
the extream is fine I am using one as well as a kinston 500 GB ssd
Last edited by wwmoggy on Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Diggz Xenon Plus”